Page updated 18 May 2023
EnVision Job opportunities in ESA-ESTEC (deadline 25 May 2023)
EnVision, an ESA-led mission in partnership with NASA, will be the first mission to investigate Venus from its inner core to its upper atmosphere, characterising the interaction between its different envelopes: its atmosphere, surface/subsurface and interior. It aims to provide a holistic view of Venus, studying the planet’s history, activity, and climate. EnVision is an ESA-led mission in partnership with NASA, with NASA providing the Synthetic Aperture Radar (VenSAR) and Deep Space Network support for critical mission phases. ESA is currently hiring new team members to help us in our mission.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
EnVision Mission Systems Engineer & Performance Lead
Tasks and responsibilities to include ensuring MRD requirements flow-down to each mission segment is properly defined, justified, implemented and verified. Required is a broad background in the various technical disciplines involved in space systems; system thinking with solid knowledge and understanding of requirements engineering and maintenance; m anagement and review of complex system performance budgets. More info: https://jobs.esa.int/job/Noordwijk-Mission-Systems-Engineer-&-Performance-Lead-%28EnVision%29/933191401
EnVision AIT & Launcher Manager
You will be the book-captain of the System Assembly, Integration and Test Requirements Document (SARD), and you will be in charge of planning a coherent and effective Assembly, Integration and Test (AIT) programme at Spacecraft level. More info: https://jobs.esa.int/job/Noordwijk-AIT-&-Launcher-Manager-%28EnVision%29/933189701
EnVision Spacecraft Engineering Manager
You will be the book-captain of the System Assembly, Integration and Test Requirements Document (SARD), and you will be in charge of planning a coherent and effective Assembly, Integration and Test (AIT) programme at Spacecraft level. More info: https://jobs.esa.int/job/Noordwijk-Spacecraft-Engineering-Manager-%28EnVision%29/933197901
EnVision Payload Manager
You will interface with the mission’s scientific consortia for the development of the EnVision instruments, monitoring the instruments technical and programmatic progress and providing management and technical support where necessary. More info: https://jobs.esa.int/job/Noordwijk-Payload-Manager-%28EnVision%29/933192501/
Job opportunities in RSLab, University di Trento (deadline 30 May 2023)
Post-Doctoral Position, Remote Sensing Laboratory, University of Trento, Italy
RSLab at the University of Trento (Italy) is looking for strongly motivated candidate PhD students having excellent study career and interested in research activities on artificial intelligence, machine learning, radar and remote sensing for Earth observation and/or planetary exploration. Applications in the framework of the PhD School in Information Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Trento are open on the following specific topics:
- D1 – Development of methodologies based on machine learning and artificial intelligence for the automatic analysis of hyperspectral and multispectral satellite remote sensing images
- D2 – Machine learning and artificial intelligence methodologies for the automatic analysis of data acquired by planetary radars
- D3 – Radar sounder for the analysis of the sub-surface of planetary bodies
- D4 – Artificial intelligence for remote sensing time series analysis
- D5 – Artificial intelligence methods for radar sounder data processing
In particular, the focus of the research will be on one of the instruments on-board Envision which is the Sub-surface Radar Sounder (SRS).
Post-Doctoral Position, Remote Sensing Laboratory, University of Trento, Italy [NOTE: deadline has passed]
The objective of the research can be focused on different directions depending on the know–how of the selected candidate and should be related to AT LEAST ONE of the following topics:
- 1) Detailed study of the and characterization of the scenaria assciated with the science objectives of SRS. Identification of terrestrial analogous, collaboration to the development of campaigns of data acquisition by radar sounder/ground penetraring radar from ground and drone and related data analysis.
- 2) Development of methodologies for the simulation of the perfomances of SRS and application of them to the analysis of the EnVision mission scenario. In particular, the activity should study in a detailed way the radar performances versus both the main parameters considered for the instrument and the different conditions expected on the surface and sub–surface of Venus.
- 3) Development of techniques for the processing of the signals acquired by the radar both in terms of low–level processing and of information extraction form the radargrams.
The research will be developed at the Remote Sensing Laboratory of the Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science of the University of Trento.
Closing date: April 12, 2023, hrs. 12:00 PM (CEST)
Duration: 2 years
The call and more information on the application can be found here.
ESA Young Graduate Trainee (YGT) in Planetary Data Processing and Data Visualisation [NOTE: deadline has passed]
Vacancy Position: Young Graduate Trainee (YGT) in Planetary Data Processing and Data Visualisation at ESAC, near Madrid, contributing to the EnVision science operations study
The Department for Science and Operations hosts the scientists and engineers that oversee the space missions, from study to end of operations. It develops the science operation systems for the missions and operates the missions in space, as well as archiving and curating their data during operations and beyond. It also supports the science instrument teams (external to ESA) in the definition of operations concepts and with instrument calibration activities.
EnVision is a mission to Venus, currently under study and expected to be formally adopted by the agency in 2024 and launched in 2031. It is an ESA-led mission in partnership with NASA. The traineeship is for young researchers having concluded their masters. The trainee shall investigate the use of the ESA Data Lab environment for the hosting of EnVision pipelines and quick-look tools, enabling efficient data and tool sharing within the instrument teams and across teams as needed.
Application closing date: 28 February 2023 23:59 CET/CEST